[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor observing experiences

Hello Dustin,
Well, this sounds familiar! I have the same experience with owls on my
observing site at the Groevenbeekse heide (a moor) near the village of
Ermelo, The Netherlands. The first time they fly over and mostly (if they
spot me)  they start to circle around me and getting lower and lower. After
a yell and some arm wavings they mostly disappear. And I have the same
feelings you discribed below :  " Then I realized that just my eyes and
> hair were showing and I probably  looked to the owl like some kind of
weird
> rabbit".

Best wishes & clear skies
Koen

> Speaking of birds and meteor watching,
> Last year during the Leonids I was out in the Columbia River Gorge.
bundled up
> in a sleeping bag watching for meteors when a black silhouette swooped in
front
> of my face.   Startled I realized it was an owl. Very silent, very eery.
Their
> special shaped feather tips make them silent as they fly.   I thought that
was
> cool until the owl made another pass.   Then I realized that just my eyes
and
> hair were showing and I probably  looked to the owl like some kind of
weird
> rabbit.   At this point I sat up and waved my arms and made some noise.
"I AM