[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Two question regarding meteor rates?

A couple of questions, if I may. I'd welcome comments and opinions even
if you can't provide a full answer.

Is the seasonal variation, in the sporadic meteor-rate, thought to be
related to a real variation in none-shower meteoroid distribution along
the Earth's orbit? Or is it simply an extension of the same mechanism
that causes the diurnal variation - extended to include the Earth's
tilt? I guess I could work the answer out, if I knew how sporadic meteor
rates in the northern and southern hemispheres varied with time.

And...

Over the limited number of years that I've been taking an active
interest in meteor activity, there appears to be a glut of fireball
reports from mid March through to early April. Is this a recognised
characteristic, or is it my imagination? I would have suspected that
increased reporting  may simply be related more people being out and
about during darkness, at this time of year. But, my perception is that
reports of meteorite falls, and resulting damage, also seem to be up at
the same time.

--
David Entwistle

Follow-Ups: References: