[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Two question regarding meteor rates?

This has been a fascinating thread, folks - thank you to David
Entwistle for posting his original question! For one thing, it
is great to have any excuse to reread Peter Jenniskens' seminal
"Meteor stream activity" papers again - I through VI... :)

And I have to say with a little embarrassment, that I learned
some important things myself, from Geert and Marco's answers:
as a matter of fact, my vague recollection was that at least
part of the annual sporadic rate variation was best explained
by the inclination of Jupiter's orbital plane to our own! (So
I would have expected, for example, that Bob Lunsford's loose
Northern Apex "sporadic radiant", should have actually had a
superimposed component of seasonal variation UNRELATED to its
peak nightly horizon angle at any given location...)

Did anybody else share this same recollection? I ask because
I wonder where it came from - in other words, which reference
over the years I had managed to misinterpret or misremember,
to come up with this idea! :)

>The ITU-R recommendation P.843.1, which covers meteor burst
>propagation, suggests a northern hemisphere sporadic rate for
>August, which is four times the February rate.

There are a lot of minor showers active during parts of August,
David, in addition to the mighty Perseids. Is it possible that
this ITU-R document includes in "sporadic" rates, any meteors
which are not from the small handful of major annual showers?

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer