[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Introductions.

Hello Lew:

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer wrote:
> Believe me, Celso, living where you do (within driving distance of the
> Andes, below the equator), you are the envy of MANY of us on the list.
> Please *do* share with us some of those observing logs you mentioned! There
> are many other folks on the list who observe with smaller-aperture scopes
> (me included), who would VERY much enjoy reading your observations! And
> don't forget: binocular observations (or even naked-eye ones) are as
> welcome as those with big scopes!

Among the few places I have been observing, the best is in the city of
Canta, near 250 km to the North East of Lima and at 3,200 m above the
sea level (masl) in the Andes, with limiting magnitudes near 7 (I do not
have a good vision but there I can easily see 6.0 stars and hardly 6.5
mag, but my friends can reach naked eye some fainter stars there). Other
place, some 60 km to the East of Lima and at 2,800 masl is also a good
place for 6.5 stars when the weather is favorable. Except for this year,
normally during winter season (may to august) we go to the highlands and
during summer we stay at low altitudes but the humid air is not a good
friend, and each case we try to be weather-tellers to avoid surprises.

You can imagine that in Perú the resources for Astronomy are very
scarce. Only recently, I have rediscovered Astronomy. Previous years I
was as a thirsty man under the melting sun in the desert: I almost
devoured any book or article that reached my hands. I got a star Atlas
dated 196x from D. H. Menzel that was my only source for observing.
Three years ago I subscribed to Astronomy and some later I got an
internet connection and the life changed completely. This is the reason
why my previous annotations are very poor. Most of the objects were
unidentified and only described. Today when I read the notes I found
myself feeling like the adult that reads its childish diary. However I
will extract some interesting paragraphs for sharing with other friends
in similar situations.

Saludos.

--
Celso Montalvo