[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) FWD: What should I buy? (rich field scopes)

>Thanks for your comments, Yann - and I agree with your points. The only
>addition I would make is that we should ALL keep an empirical attitude when it
>comes to instruments, magnifications, filters, etc.: the ideal system is
>whatever one gives *you* the best view of this particular object, on this
>particular night. And experimentation will almost always be necessary to find
>that ideal system!
>
>That's why it's so important to spend real time with each object you observe:
>try different views, powers, filters, techniques. And LOG WHAT YOU SEE - so you
>(and others) can learn from your experimentation. :)
>

>>Every one (and I am no exception!) thinks he/she ...
>>owns the best telescope in the world
>
>Well, I almost agree! I actually think I have the best scope for my needs, *for
>the money*. But with even a little more disposable income, there are many
>changes I'd make: and with enough scratch, I'd jump to a new, different
>instrument in a flash. Wouldn't we all? :)
>
>PS: By the way, the Al Nagler article Dave mentioned is GREAT:
>  http://www.rahul.net/resource/regular/products/tele-vue-optics/pg5.htm
>
>Clear skies all,
>Lew

Hello,

This is my final word on this convoluted topic, one that I was drawn into against my better judgment.  I was not arguing about what  the "best" telescope is, a task as fruitless as arguing about what the best food is, or the best automobile, movie, painting, etc. (Or am I somehow misinterpreting the above?) Wasn't it clear that I have used a wide variety of telescopes over the years?  Naturally, each one had or has its own strengths and weaknesses.

What I was trying to do was to make the point that as much deep-sky observing can be done with large aperture,long focus instruments (at higher magnifications) as with fast telescopes, or rich-field scopes for that matter.  Most of my observing is done with a 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain with a focal length of 6477mm!  And I sometimes use a friend's superb 20" f/10 classical Cassegrain with a mere 5080mm focal length.:-)  Working with a rather limited field of view (even with a 55mm Ploessl) and having to deal with the difficulties of observing from a dome make locating DSO's somewhat challenging, but certainly far from impossible.  And in many cases the views of these objects, at least to me and other club members, are far superior at higher magnifications.

Dave