[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Obj: Markarian 205 - Inst: 18" f/4.5 Obsession

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Bravo, Michael - you're the second person to log a quasar on the IAAC! (Yann
> Pothier beat you to Mrk205 back in June... But there's still plenty of quasars
> in reach of an 18" that we HAVEN'T seen logs for! Not to mention BL Lac's,
> distant Seyferts - and even maybe a lens or two... :>)
>
> By the way, I forwarded this log to you by hand, but you will not see copies of
> your future submissions to IAAC, unless you subscribe. And whether or not you
> subscribe, we *DO* hope we'll see more from your observing notebook!
>
> Clear skies, and thanks for sharing what you see!
> Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@latrade.com>

Lew,

I first observed the classic quasar 3C273 back in 1995 I believe. At thirteenth or
so magnitude it was just a rather faint field star in the ASH 17" f/15 classical
Cassegrain.  We also looked at Pluto that evening.  The magnitudes of the two
objects were about the same but the distances (some 3 billion light years vs. 3
billion miles) were a bit different. :-)

Dave Mitsky