From: Bruce Jensen <brucejensen@hotmail.com>
To: netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com
<netastrocatalog-announce@latrade.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 22, 1998 3:06 PM
Subject: (IAAC) Barnard's Loop, Naked Eye or Otherwise

:From: Mel Bartels <mbartels@efn.org>
:
:>I've never seen Barnard's Loop, but a few amateurs have
:>reported this.  Unaided eye observing is a lot of fun and very
:rewarding - I encourage all to to try, and to spend time practicing the
:ability.
:
:Some friends and I have seen Barnard's Loop using an H-Beta filter and a
:Pronto late last fall at Fremont Peak in California; it appeared as a
:faint strand that could be traced several degrees along the eastern edge
:of Orion.  We did not try to see it naked eye or using a filter. I have
:occasionally tried this technique on such objects as the Rosette and
:North America Nebulae - the NA is pretty easy in most dark skies, but
:the Rosette has always stymied me with or without a filter.
:
:When I look at the Pleiades naked eye or filtered, all I see is a
:scattering of 6 or 7 stars (if I'm lucky) that are lopsided and blurry -
:astigmatism prevents high-definiton naked eye viewing.  There are a few
:guys out here who routinely count more than a dozen stars, though, and
:sometimes as high as 16 or even more.  Some wear glasses and some do
:not.
:
:Bruce Jensen
: