[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) Barnard's Loop, Naked Eye or Otherwise

From: "Penny Fischer " <pennyo@prodigy.net>

>Bruce,

>I've seen what I thought was Barnards loop under low power in mediocre
skies. But try as I might, I could not even imagine nebulosity around
the Rosette Cluster.

To actually see the Rosette Nebula, try any very low-power field with an
O-III filter.  Using this combination, it's visible in any scope from an
80mm (even binocs) on up.  My 8" F/6 used to give a great
fill-up-your-field view at 37x (35mm eyepiece, 6mm exit pupil). An 8"
F/5 would have been even better, yielding a little more space around the
object and giving maximum contrast and exit pupil (7mm). I have to
admit, were it not for filters, I wouldn't see half the great nebulae up
there.

>I saw my first views of the NA Nebula this week in my friends
Obsession, with what I think was an OIII filter, but that object is too
extended and we could only see a portion (Gulf of Mexico region) of it.
Still, I have to admit it was a grand object to view.

I think the Gulf region presents the highest contrast on the NA nebula
and the sharpest cutoff between nebula and blackness.  If you get a
chance, try a Shorttube or Pronto at low power with an O-III.
Beautiful!

Thanks for your excellent observations and discussion of the Pleiades
:-)

Bruce Jensen