[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (IAAC) New [subscriber]

>Being new to the list I've been encouraged by the postings and
>have had my appetite whetted to do some DS observing.

Glad to hear it, Bill! That's what we're here for - for each of us. :)

>#1  What can I possibly hope to see with my 4.5"er?

The short answer is "quite a bit", but only *IF* you take the time to
learn the sky, and to train your eye! To get some ideas, try picking
up some of the fine books out there that describe all the deep-sky
wonders you can see with just BINOCULARS! Others'll suggest their own
favorites, but I recommend some of the books by Phil Harrington, Fred
Schaaf, David Chandler, and Terry Dickinson!

And of course, I HIGHLY advise checking out some of the observations
you can find on the IAAC Web archive! Try the by-keyword search form
(different from the *by-object-name* search) at this address:

  http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren/netastrocatalog/keysearch.html

and search for keywords like 'bino' or '4.5"' (sans the 'quotes'!).
Among objects you may find observing logs for are the very fine
globular clusters M13, M3, M5, M4, M10, M12, Omega Centauri, etc.!

Or you might try using this keyword search to find 'glob', for lots
and lots of globular cluster logs with all kinds of equipment.

> 	#2  I presently have 2 eyepieces that came with the scope

Magnification is a useful tool for seeing faint or complex details in
deep sky objects, Bill. But for now, so long as your eyepieces are of
at least fair quality (good image all the way around the field, decent
contrast for faint objects) 35x and 90x is a good combination of powers,
in my opinion. Learn your way around the sky a bit first, and also make
the opportunity to try out your fellow amateurs' eyepieces, before you
rush out to spend a bundle on new equipment of your own.

Clear skies, and we look forward to seeing your logs on IAAC soon! ;)

Lew Gramer <owner-netastrocatalog@latrade.com>