From: WebbSoc@topica.com [mailto:WebbSoc@topica.com]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 7:02 AM
To: WebbSoc@topica.com
Subject: Digest for WebbSoc@topica.com, issue 84

-- Topica Digest --

	Supernova  in NGC 1448
	By Rob Carver

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:11:02 +1000
From: Rob Carver
Subject: Supernova  in NGC 1448

Hi everyone,

There's a SuperNova in NGC 1448 (Horologium). It was found a few days ago.
I've had a week away from computers, so sorry about the delay in sending you
this. The opposition of Mars has been marvelous this week as well. I've been
out three nights in a row in average seeing and still got the best views
I've ever had of this planet. Anyhow, back to the supernova... this is from
the AAVSO....

0341-44C SN 2003hn

    Robert Evans, Hazelbrook, New South Wales, Australia reports his visual
discovery of supernova 2003hn in NGC 1448 (IAUC 8186) on Aug. 25.7 UT at a
magnitude of 14.1.  Images by Las Campanas Observatory and Cerro Tololo
Interamerican Observatory (CTIO) provide a position of:

              R.A. = 03h 44m 36s.1 Decl. = -44o 37' 49

   Most recent CTIO photometry taken on Aug. 26.32:  V =14.36, B-V = +0.21,
U-B = -0.87

The galaxy is a very beautiful, almost edge on spiral which is also
gravitationally interacting. Here's a finder/comparison chart...

    http://www.aavso.org/charts//HOR/NGC_1448/NGC1448-E.GIF

All the best,

    Rob

End of WebbSoc@topica.com digest, issue 84

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web form at: