[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(IAAC) Fwd: McNeil's Nebula with a 16-inch [New amateur discovery]

Just a quick note: I've been somewhat remiss in forwarding any
of the recent BLIZZARD of postings on "McNeil's Nebula"... This
is a bit of variable nebulosity, recently discovered by amateur
Jay McNeil with a small amateur scope and CCD, in the same field
of view with bright reflection nebula M78, in Orion!

And best of all, there are now several confirmations that this
exciting curiosity is accessible to VISUAL observers also, in
mid- to larger-sized amateur scopes. Below are links to a pair
of fine finder photos, from well-known amateur Tom Polakis:

 http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/deepsky/mcneils_finder_chart_small.jpg

 http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/deepsky/mcneils_finder_chart.jpg

I'll be giving this one a try the next time I'm out, for sure!

Note: Forwarded without permission of the authors.

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer