(IAAC) Obj: ic421 - Inst: Newt 20" f/5

Observer: Lew Gramer
Your skills: Intermediate
Date and UT of Observation: 1997-2-6/7, 02:30 UT
Location: ATMoB Clubhouse, Westford, MA, USA (43N)
Site classification: semirural
Limiting magnitude: 6.2
Seeing: 2 to 3 - medium good
Moon up: no
Instrument: Newt Reflector 20" f/5 (dob)
Magnification: 70x, 210x
Filters used: None, DeepSky
Object: IC 421
Category: Spiral galaxy
Constellation: Ori
Data: mag 13?   size 3.2'x2.8'
RA/DE: 05h32m  -07o55'
Most easily found hopping from Nu Ori, this galaxy was
non-stellar at 70x with the DeepSky filter, but showed
no detail. At 210x with the filter, a bright core and
fairly faint halo became apparent, but averted vision
showed a brighter ring of nebulosity around the outer
edge of the halo. The core was slightly elongated ENE-
WSW (this was actually a bar, at PA 70o), while outer
halo and ring were circular. Seeing at that height in
the sky wouldn't stand power, as I found when I tried
to use 360x to see a hint of the spiral arms in this
face-on SAB galaxy. I have the feeling much more could
be seen with a little more elevation!

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer dedalus@alum.mit.edu http://www.tiac.net/users/lewkaren