(IAAC) Object: M12, Instrument: 16" Dobnewt, LM 5.3

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 6/6/97 0545 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban

Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.3 (estimated) 4.9(est) in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst):  2
Moon up (phase?): No
Instrument: 16" Dob, 96%, 99% coatings, Televue binoviewer
Magnifications:  167x, binoviewer (using 2 30mm Ultimas + 2.7x magnification
on barlow)
Filters used: none
Object: M12
Constellation:
Object data: Globular
RA/DE:

This is another A+ view. Breath-taking, fully resolved, non-classic very
large globular. Individuals are clearly
brighter and overlay a slightly rectangular central area of dense and
partially resolvable core. Unique variation in foreground members which form
a pattern vaguely resembling the constellation Hercules. Brighter, more
irregular foreground stars than nearby M10 which is similar in brightness,
but more classic and symetrical than M12.

I was having such luck at resolving these clusters at this aperture with the
binoviewer, that I didn't even bother to move to a single eyepiece on this one.

- Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade Advanced Product User Group: mapug@shore.net
Administrator, New England Weather Observer Mail List, wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather, #Sciastro (Undernet)
Originator of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777