(IAAC) Object: Pease 1, within M15 INST: 16" Newt. f/4.59

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 09/06/97 0500 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban

Limiting magnitude (visual): 4.9 (estimated) 4.7 (est) in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best):  4
Moon up (phase?): No
Instrument: 16" Newtonian-dob w. 96/99% coatings f/4.59
Magnifications: 267x
Filters used: UHC, blinked
Object: Pease 1 in M15
Constellation:
Object data: Planetary inside of M15!

The 10/97 issue of Astronomy mentioned that there is a planetary residing
inside M15, which
is much tougher to pick out, than let's say the planetary inside open
cluster M46. After all,
globulars are on the outskirts of the galaxy.

I would suggest using a scope large enough to split M15 to it's photographic
limit. Also, use
high power 200x or more.

Buried on the NE side of the core, I found that if I used a UHC filter (OIII
didn't work out well), and a 7mm Nagler, I could see that when I "blinked"
M15 with the UHC filter, one "star", or clump of stars
near a noticeable gap in the core did not dim nearly as much as the rest of
the core. With little prior
knowledge of where this was supposed to be, I checked a chart, and indeed it
was right where it was
in the Astronomy article. Again..it just looked like a star which became
more prominent with each flash of the Lumicon UHC narrow band filter.

Thanks!   -Todd

Todd Gross
Boston Meteorologist
homepage: www.weatherman.com