(IAAC) Correction..OBJECT: NGC 7335 (NOT 7338) INST:16" NEWT

Correction.. viewed NGC7335, NOT NGC7338 as previously
posted

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 09/06/97 0520 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban

Limiting magnitude (visual): 4.8 (estimated) 4.8 (est) in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best):  4
Moon up (phase?): No
Instrument: 16" Newtonian-dob w. 96/99% coatings f/4.59
Magnifications: 98x, 124x, 267x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC 7335
Constellation: Peg.
Object data:  Galaxy

Lew Gramer recently suggested that I try to track down some of the
neighboring galaxies within arc minutes of NGC7331. Indeed I saw
one clearly, just a few arc minutes east of NGC7331, NGC7335...and
two others fleetingly with averted vision (unconfirmed).

NGC7335 was much dimmer than NGC7331, listed at magnitude 15.
I estimated it's PA at 140, but found it listed at PA 150. This is very
close to the almost N-S NGC7331, which runs at PA170. Therefore,
the two are almost parallel, but come closer together on the north
side, forming a "V" shape, when looked at as a pair.

NGC7335 seemed to be about 1/2 the length of 7331,
with a bit less width. It looks like a streak of light, gradually brighter
towards
the center, resembling an edge-on galaxy. Best viewed with
averted vision, but could hold it with direct view. Best magnification
seemed to be 150-250x. In photographs, it looks
considerably smaller than 7331, but I was fairly light polluted during
this observing session, and I probably wasn't seeing the full extent
of 7331, I have noticed it larger looking in other sessions. This would
explain the size discrepency.

- Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade User Group: mapug@shore.net & NE Weather Watcher Mail
List, wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather, #Sciastro (Undernet)      //     Originator
of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777