(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC 2158, M35 INST: 16" Newt. f/4.59

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 09/30/97 0815 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 miles west of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.3 (estimated) 4.9 (est) in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): est.  4
Moon up (phase?): No
Instrument: 16" Newtonian-dob w. 96/99% coatings  f/4.59
Magnifications: 62x,98x,124x, 170x, 260x (binoviewer)
Filters used: none
Object: NGC2158, M35
Constellation: GEM
Object data:  RA 6:07  24:06n OC, rich

This gem is adjacent to M35 and has always fascinated me. Even at this
aperture,
I was unable to completely resolve the background glow on this ridiculously
tight
open cluster. I was able to detect clearly a resolved triangle of stars,
perhaps only
a dozen or so, with a granular background glow at the verge of fully resolving
This is a small cluster, only 5 arc minutes across.

M35 nearby is huge, about 30 arc minutes, and filled with very bright, but
widely
varied in brightness stars that look like diamonds on diamonds. Round, but
free-form
in structure so that I could not recognize a definite pattern.
best viewed at low magnification

- Todd
BOSTON TV METEOROLOGIST TODD GROSS
Weather/Astronomy Home Page: http://www.weatherman.com
Administrator, Meade User Group: mapug@shore.net & NE Weather Watcher Mail
List, wxobs-sne@shore.net
IRC Channel Operator: #Weather, #Sciastro (Undernet)      //     Originator
of the NE.WEATHER newsgroup
Email: toddg@weatherman.com    Work Phone# (617)725-0777