(IAAC) Obj: M44 Beehive cluster - Inst: 6" Orion Dobsonian

----

Observer: William L. Schart
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: 4/1/98 12:10 a.m. CST
Location of site: Killeen, TX (Lat 319 5s, Elev 600ft)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 8 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 6" Orion Dobsonian
Magnification: 48x, 70X, 120x, 300x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): M44 Beehive cluster
Category: Open cluster.
Class:
Constellation: Cnc
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
The sky was fairly dark this late at night. (Since I work night shift,
you will find that many of my observations will be midnight or after.)
I was able to find this fairly easily. It filled the eyepiece and
beyond at 48x. I estimated some 60 stars at mag 3 to 5, with many much
fainter stars forming a background. It almost seemed that these
background stars formed a web-like lattice, much like a dew bejeweled
spider web.