(IAAC) Obj: NGC 5139, Omega Centauri - Inst: 20x100mm binoculars

----

Observer: Mark G.Birkmann
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 1/25/01, 10:30 UT (4:30 a.m. CST)
Location of site: New Haven, Missouri (Lat ~38, Elev ~700 feet)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 4 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 20x100mm binoculars
Magnification:
Filter(s):
Object(s): NGC 5139, Omega Centauri
Category: Globular cluster.
Class: 8
Constellation: cen
Data: mag 3.9(v)  size 53'
Position: RA 13h:26m 46.0"  DEC -47:28' 36"
I've heard of this object being viewed from even farther north than this.  But
I never thought I'd see it from here due to the poor transparency near the
horizon here in Missouri.  We also have a hill about 1/2 mile to our south with
tall trees on it.  But my friend Kim Colter solved this problem by observing
from the top of the 17' ladder.  When it was my turn to take a look I was amazed
at how bright and easy it was to see.  It would almost certainly have been
visible in 50mm binoculars.  I may try to get a look at it from a better site
with the 13" to see if any stars can be resolved.  This was a very memorable
site for me.  I can't remember the last time I observed a deepsky object that
shared the field of view with a tree!
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/drawings.htm