Observation Poster: Mark G.Birkmann <deepsky@usmo.com>

Observer: Mark G.Birkmann
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 6-24-2001, 15:50 to 16:30 UT (12:50 to 1:30 CDT)
Location of site: New Haven, Missouri (Lat ~38, Elev ~700 feet)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 4 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 3 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 40" f/5 dob
Magnification: 858x
Filter(s):
Object(s): Minkowski 2-9, Minkowski's Butterfly
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class: ? + 6
Constellation: ophiuchus
Data: mag 13.2 (IR)  size size 30" x 60" central star mag 15.6
Position: RA 17h:05m 37.9s  DEC -10:08' 33"
On this night a small bright central region was seen from which extended two
long, thin, and faint areas of nebulosity oriented north and south.  To the west
of the center of the pn another faint area of nebulosity was seen.  No color was
noted at any power.  Surprisingly, even though the seeing was poor, the best
view was at 858x using a meade 6.7 uwa and a paracorr.  The orion ultrablock did
little, if anything, to improve the view.  When I later compared  my observation
to a photograph I determined that the small area of nebulosity west of the
central region is probably a faint star made to appear nebulous by the poor
seeing.  Likewise, the central star may have been blurred to form the nebulous
central region.  The faintest star visible in the almost 6' field of view was a
little north of the pn and was vmag 15.05.  This was probably due more to the
very poor seeing than to the poor transparency.  A drawing can be seen at
http://members.fortunecity.com/faintfuzzy/drawings.htm
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/drawings.htm
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: