Observer: Ron B[ee]
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: 09/17/01
Location of site: 117:9W (Lat 32:43N, Elev 2000 ft)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 4.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: TV-102 APO (102mm f/8.6) EQ mount
Magnification: 22x, 30x, 110x, 220x, 293x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): NGC 40
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Cep
Data: mag 10.6  size 38" x 35"
Position: RA :  DEC :
This planetary nebula forms a triangle with the stars GSC 4302:609 (mag 9.6) and SAO 4061 (mag 9.1).  Located  through my TV-102 with the 40mm Pentax XL (22x).  But the triangle is more noticeable with my 30mm Celestron Ultima (30x) and the PN looked like an unfocus star.  Switching to 8mm TV Radian (110x), the PN displayed itself as a dimmer (central) star of the triangle with dim gray halo that looked oval.  This planetary is different than the ones I've looked at so far in that the central star appeared to be much brighter than the nebula itself. So far, it has been the other way around for me.  Going up to 6mm (146x), 4mm (220x) and 3mm (293x) TV Radian showed the oval nebula as larger and larger and the central star brightness hardly diminished (nor the nebulosity as a matter of fact).  220x seemed to be the best view.  The nebulosity can be seen with direct vision all the way up to 293x, but showed better with averted vision.  With averted vision, a 12.1 mag dim star GSC 4302:545 can be seen.

Although there are a few nice pictures on the Web, this sketch on the Web is by far most representative of what I saw.
http://www.jwebdale.btinternet.co.uk/ngc40.htm

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: