Constellation: Cancer
Data: mag 4.5  size 80'
Position: RA 08:40  DEC +19:59
M44 is a beautiful big open cluster, trumpler type II 2 m, extremely large, irregular with one or more concentrations. It is a very easy object to find. There are five or six star "triangles" visible. South of the center is a triangle with a yellowish star. Further south near the edge of my filed of view there is another yellowish star. In the northern part there is a snakelike asterism of 9 stars, from west to east. The "head of the snake" is again a triangle formed by three stars. There is no obvious central star in the cluster, and there are several empty spaces. There is no glow of unresolved stars. In my 32mm I could detect stars up to the 12th magnitude.

For a drawing visit my homepage:  http://www.backyard-astro.com
A site for amateur astronomers. Look in The Deepsky section, Logs
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.backyard-astro.com
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: