Constellation: Aqr
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
OK, I know this isnt a deep sky observation, but I thought I would share it anyway. The viewing conditions tonight were great. The skies were clear and
steady. I spent a litte time on Mars and it still looks big and
bright. The detail was great. I popped over to Uranus and was viewing
at 310x and I happened accross a stationary satellite. Or rather,
Uranus passed behind it. At first I just thought it was moving
really slow as it moved through the high power FOV when I noticed
that Uranus and the field was moving and the satellite was
stationary. I'm no magnitude expert, but I would guess that it was
roughly 12-13 magnitude and was blinking white light. I thought maybe
scattered light was causing it, but after moving it around the field
and changing eyepieces, it was definitely NOT scattered light. I
jacked the magnification up to 500x, and it still looked the same. I
even went inside the house and took a 5 minute break, and sure
enough, the Dob still had it in the FOV when I went back outside.

I was wondering what different types of satellites are stationary? I
know it wasnt direct TV, since my dish was pointing elsewhere. I
thought maybe a weather satellite? Do weather satellites blink white
light? Anyway, it was a fun observation for me since I have never
seen a stationary satellite before. Are there any satellite experts
out there that can give me some insight?

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: