Constellation: Ori
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
Remarkably easy by putting the bright Zeta Orionis out of the field of view.
There are four stars kind of in a line E-W just NE of Zeta. There's a dark
area that goes in between the two middle stars, quite clear. Then there's a
tendril that goes up past them. Moving from W to E, there's a bright area
between the westernmost of the four stars and the second star that goes up to
about where the line of stars are, then there's a dark area between the second
and third stars, then between the third and fourth star- closer to the third-
there's a tendril that goes up through the plane of those four stars all the
way up to a brighter star that forms a triangle with the third and fourth
stars. (Got that?) Quite a bit of mottling in there- I can really see the
major outlines of the nebula, which is pretty rare for a nebula in a small
scope. It only takes up about a fifth of the field of view in 50x. Also a good
view on 100x. I can see the three main bright areas, including the little bar
that goes down along the SE side of it. This is one, though, that I'm sure the
sky has too be very clear to see well. In 100x it fills the field, but I still
get plenty of contrast with the barlow. One of the better nebulas for a small
scope.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: