[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireballs and Debris

I still would like to see the issue of how to distinguish natural fireballs
from re-entering man-made debris addressed better as it could be a factor
in this NASA mission as well.

Over the past year I have monitored the satellite network, specifically the
"see-sat" email discussion list, and know there are some excellent
satellite decay predictors around the planet.  Debris re-entry orbits can
be predicted to a certain extent.  So here is a possibility of filtering
out the pseudo-meteors with the expertise of the decay monitors.

But still, there are a number of fireball reports on sci.astro that sound
suspiciously like debris and it would be valuable to have some sort of
checklist for filtering the various phenomena.

Tom Ashcraft