[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re: Dead Time

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> Date: Saturday, 13-Jul-96 11:00 PM
>
> From: James Houser             \ Internet:    (jhouser@muskingumdot edu)
> To:   Robert Lunsford          \ PRODIGY:     (QLAC65A)
>
> Subject: re: (meteorobs) plotting many at once (was Re: July 5/6 6/7)
>
>   stupid question  people
>

>  what is dead time?
> jim

Jim,

Dead time is time spent not watching the sky. The most common dead time
occurs during breaks for sleep, snacks, or going potty. For those who
plot dead time must be subtracted for the time spent looking at your
clipboard instead of the sky.

It takes me an average of 30 seconds to plot each meteor on to a chart.
If I plot 10 meteors in an hours time, then I need to subtract 300
seconds or 5 minutes from the hour. That is expressed as TeFF
(effective observing time)  =  55 minutes or   0.92  hr.

Bob