[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) computer plotting vs chart manual plotting.

<< The more I think of it the more I like the idea of a drawing pad and wand
 for tracking.  Place the pad in front of you with a sky map of the area
 about the radiant, and draw the aprox path of each sighting.  Duration
 and magnitude can be codified and entered with a keypad.

------
Andrew,
I hate to rain on your parade here, but I still think I can record my data
and plot the meteors quicker than doing it with a computer set up as you are
suggesting...mainly because I think at best, the plotting time on a chart vs
doing what is necessary to use  the plotting pad are about equal.  Then
writing down the data with the abbreviations that I use are probably a little
quicker.   I won't have to be searching for the proper keys in the dark to
type on, nor deal with the hassle of holding a light to see enough what I'm
doing...I frequently use my mouth to hold the light and it is very easy to
do. It seems to me that this automation will be very clumsy in practice... in
that it is more time consuming. Just going thru my mind, there are certain
things that are a given irregardless what method you use...that is you will
have to be in a reclining position. I don't know about you, but it is very
difficult to type in a reclined position. The keyboard will have to be in a
precise position to type generally, but sometimes when I plot, I can lean
over to one side and still be able to plot with no difficulty.  A reminder
here though about any charts you might want to incorporate into your computer
method...you might have to incorporate gnomonic star charts similar to the
Brno charts, otherwise the computer may have to draw arcs with ordinary star
charts...and meteors don't travel in arcs.  I think in order for you to come
up with some adequate means to automate your plotting with a computer, I
think you should try plotting some yourself to see just exactly what is
involved.  Doing it is a lot different than reading about it. You'll discover
things that can't be adequately described or talked about unless you had the
experience.
George Z.