[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Photoelectric cell meteor monitoring

At 12:02 19-08-96 -0400, you wrote:

><< Works by means of photoelectric cell coupled to a computer.
>
> Marco >>
>------
>Marco,
>Has it ever been proposed (or done) to use your photoelectric cell hooked up
>to a chart recorder or pen recorder to catch high meteor rates for such
>events as the possible Leonid storms? Maybe if it is sensitive enough to
>catch -2's or brighter meteors, it would give a more real picture based on
>time as to the actual activity profile for a major storm such as the Leonids?

George,

Interresting proposal. Never thought about that! Might be possible, though I
fear that during a major storm the device also might saturate. It is
sensitive enough to catch meteors even fainter than -2, but you can adjust
that of course. Best might be to maintain computer-recording other than
pen-recording (similar to Radio-MS automated setups) with such a setup. Will
forward this mail to Hans Betlem. Actually, I am not so much of a technic
guy, he's much better in such things. If we (Casper and I) are correct you
can build yourself such a device for say $200-300, if you use second hand
photomultipliet tubes and amplifiers. I think it is best that you contact
Hans if you are seriously interested.

Sorry, keep my mail rather shortworded: are going for an observational
session in due time. Good luck!

Marco.
|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|       World Wide Web: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm        |