[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) ZLMs

<< Anyway, folks... use whatever RELIABLE system you wish, but remember,
 that the AAVSO goes down to 9.5, and even O'Meara can't reach THAT!

 About three years ago, for Southern observers, I invented a magnitude
 sequence for ZLMs, using the Southern Cross, that goes down to 10.0.
 During the winter months, in NZ, the Cross is on the Zenith in the
 early evenings. For Summer months, I am preparing a ZLM 10.0 sequence
 around the "stinger" of Scorpius, and hope to publish this soon.

 Remember, the ZLM relates to the ZENITH SKY, not the radiant sky...
 don't get the two mixed up.

 OK, I'm out of here. Any reactions under 100Mt, please to Mt
 Erebus, R.D.2, Antarctica, where the North-Westerlies should hopefully
 keep any fall-out well away from Wellington.

 Any people ou there who would like me to make some proposals,
 suggestions, ideas, comments to IMO Council (we have our next meeting at
 Apeldoorn, next month) drop me a note by e-mail, as I am an IMO
 Councillor. We want as much input from around the world as possible.
 Your comments can remain anonymous and confidential if you wish.
 Brick-bats are just as welcome as boquets. WE on IMO Council want to
 serve you as well as possible, and would appreciate YOUR feedback. let
 us know what you want, don't want etc. WE are YOUR servants out there,
 and if we are to properly administer global meteoritics, then we need
 global feedback and input.

 Looking forward to hearing from you, and acting on your comments

 Proudly in the service of global meteoritics

 Your kiwi buddy and meteor collaegue

 GRAHAM WOLF
 New Zealand

------
Graham,
There is no need in  "re-inventing the wheel" on this LM thing...the one that
IMO presently has is quite adequate. I'm surprised that you are advocating
it's change personally.  My personal advice is to not screw with it, but work
with the one presently at hand...and it does work.  Seeing one star at the
zenith does not give a fair representative of the whole viewing area's LM.
 Whereas the averge of a double star count over a broad area is more
realistic than if you can see any particular star. After all, it's not
advisable to observe at the Zenith due to it's smaller observing window than
say at 50 to 70 degrees elevation.
George Z.