[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) August 22 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

I managed 3 hours of observing this morning under clear skies. Rates
were weaker than yesterday. The Perseids nearly disappeared with only 2
being seen this morning. The Aquarid radiants were also quiet. The
radiant near Mira produced only 3 possible members. The brightest
meteor seen was a -2 Kappa Cygnid seen low in the north. It seemed that
meteors this morning did their best to avoid detection by appearing at
the edge of my field. I keep track of the distance a meteor appears
from the center of my field for plotting accuracy. The average is 20-30
degrees. This morning it seemed to be 40-50 degrees! Another hinderence
to plotting  was that meteors would appear in groups. I would see one
meteor, fix its position in the sky and then see another meteor before
being able to plot the first one. This is a pretty shallow complaint as
I would rather see this activity rather than struggle through an
average March morning with perhaps 5 meteors per hour. There is no
overworked feeling that time of year.

09:00-10:00 UT   .90   6.61   1 KCG   1 PER   2 SDA   10 SPO

10:00-11:00 UT   .90   6.59   1 SDA   14 SPO

11:00-12:00 UT   .93   6.44   1 PER   10 SPO

F was 1.00 all 3 hours and the TeFF was reduced due to plotting.

Beginning Temperature:   57F  (14 C)  Ending Temperature:   55F  (13C)
Beginning Relative Humidity:   50%     Ending Relative Humidity:   48%

Bob Lunsford