[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid Magnitudes

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --
 Expanded recipient data:
 To:   Rainer Arlt              \ CompuServe:  (100114,1361)

-4   (1)   -3   (4)   -2   (8)   -1   (7)   0   (22)   +1   (22)   +2
(17)   +3   (28)   +4   (14)   +5 (3)   +6   (0)

Average Magnitude: +1.37

The 2 brightest Leonids were apparently missed by Joseph and myself.
George reported that a -7 was seen very low in the east and his vantage
point on top of the observatory allowed him to catch it just above the
trees. Also, George reported a -6 low in the west opposite the direction
Joe and I were facing.

Sporadic Magnitudes

-1   (1)   0   (1)   +1   (4)   +2   (10)   +3   (16)   +4   (10)   +5
(4)   +6   (1)

Average Magnitude:   +2.91

Other Shower Average Magnitudes:

AMO     +3.00     NTA     +2.57     STA     +4.60

Joseph apparently misunderstood me when I described the nebulous glow
surrounding the first Leonid of the night. I have seen this phenomena
many times in the past but never has it been so pronounced as it was on
that memorable meteor.

It seemed to me that the shower was waning and getting fainter as the
night progressed. The most memorable bright Leonids were seen early in
the session. Had I analyzed just the first half of the night I would
have a description of the display similar to Norman's. I also agree with
George and Norman that a great majority of the negative magnitude
Leonids were distinctly orange. Leonids of magnitudes 0 and +1 were
mostly blue with one green interloper. A few yellows were spread
throughout the magnitude scale.

My train percentage was 40.5  This appears logical since it appears that
I saw more fainter Leonids than either George or Norman. The longest
lasting train was 17 seconds on a -3 Leonid. There were 2 others with
trains longer than 10 seconds. There were many trains in the 4-5 second
range.

Clear Skies!

Bob