[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Bolides

<< Like yourself George, I've yet to come across a definitive "guideline"
 reference for classification. I've merely relied on the experience and
 erudite observations of persons such as yourself!.

 Hope this helps to clarify the situation,

 Clear Skies,

 Graham.

-------------
Thanks Graham!
I've gotten mixed and similar responses from Andre Knofel and Peter Brown.
Andre has the same understanding as you and I. Peter indicates that he
defines a Bolide as any exploding fireball whether it's heard or not.  There
seems to be enough confusion, that I think perhaps somebody ought to come up
with an agreeable definition and print it in various publications.
 Eventually it will become accepted as "gospel". Maybe during a meeting such
as an IMC would be the place to iron this out? I think there ought to be a
word to denote a fireball that produces sonic booms. It paints a different
image in my mind than just saying a fireball.  Maybe we just need to take the
"Bull by the horns" and come up with a definitive definition. If there is
already one, Maybe it ought to be used more frequently so it's not forgotten
by everyone?
George Z.