[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Firball Noise

<< If I remember correctly from something I read several years ago, sound
 intensity will have something to do with the composition of the meteor.
 Iron, stony-iron, and stony meteors will not produce the same sound
 intensity. I do not have the article in front of me, but I think the
 premise was that stony meteors will not produce a sound as loud as an iron
 meteor, and it had something to do with the likely fragmentation of the
 stony meteors as they fell. As I said, the article is not in front of me, I
 am not sure who the author was.

Gary,
If you should ever come across this article, I would be very interested in
reading it. This is the first I've heard of a Sound/composition connection. I
thought it had something more to do with the meteors trajectory and distance
from the observer?
George Zay