[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Web pages seen on UK national TV

Last night (March 26), BBC 2 television broadcast the second in a
series of half-hour programmes in which scientists describe their
passion for their subject and then their personal seven wonders of the
world.  It featured Monica Grady, the curator of meteorites at the
Natural History Museum in London.

In this first part there were lots of fireball and old meteorite
footage including the 1972 Aug 10 and Peekskill (sp?) fireballs, the
latter both on video and MPEG. In stark contrast to recent dramas like
"Asteroid", the only serious blunder was that they reused some
footage of comets being disturbed from a too thin and too regular
Oort shell (ref. Lyttleton 1950,...) when they were talking about
asteroids being perturbed towards Earth-crossing orbits.

In amongst the wonders was "The Net".  As we saw Monica changing and
reading Web pages, I noticed some familar ones like the DMS and Gary's
pages.  Rather appropriately they began the piece zoomed closely on
the Netscape Navigator's N and fireballs.  (Anyone know why Netscape
chose that movie, such as being former meteor watchers?)

Another wonder was "The Night Sky" in which there was some beautiful
colour time-lapsed photography of the southern skies to quite faint
LMs.

There's a short piece about the programme at
    http://www.bbc.codot uk/science/

I'm glad I recorded it.  It might be a filler for the first night of
an IMC.

Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: