[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Eta Aquarids May 8/9 poor

>1997 Eta Aquarids May 8/9

Ditto with George on the above.  2 complete hours 326-526 EDT I saw only 4
Eta Aquarids each hour.  Wasn't surprised at the first one, but was
flabbergasted that the second hour was no better.   First hour was good in
other regards : 3 Alpha Scorpiids and 9 sporadics.  The second hour was dead
all around : had just 2 sporadics for a total of only 6 !  Sky was LM7.2,
continuing excellent -- but devoid of meteors.  The Etas definitely peaked
the first night I was observing, May 4/5, then going downhill thereafter.

Tim Cooper has very good perception from the rates he reported.  From skies
much poorer than mine he still saw double my rates, Etas and sporadics both.
A sporadic rate of 10 to me was a great one.

Was cloudy after May 9 so that's it for me on the Etas this year.  Had a
welcome heavy rain here concurrent with the tornado in Miami.

It's time to take off for a while.  Will unsubscribe to avoid any overflow,
then catch up in archives.

Norman W. McLeod III
Visual Program Coordinator
American Meteor Society