[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) TWA800 and meteors

Norman:

<< experienced observers know what meteors look like, and this object
definitely does not sound like a meteor>>

As I have stated I am an amateur astronomer. I have always watched shooting
star, comets and meteors. TWA, Boeing, NTSB, FBI & we TWA retirees have I
believe exhausted all other possiblies for cause for this accident.

After talking the witnesses I began to realize that a meteor was very likely
based on the numbers of witnesses who had seen this streak of light. I have
said I stand corrected about the witnesses saw the meteor hitting the
aircraft. It was 15 miles away. What I should have stated is that some of
them saw the streak light then moments later they saw the aircaft explode.

I got into your meteor network to learn about meteors and to seek help
because I knew very little about them but I am learning.  I think you hit the
nail on the head about it doesn't sound like an meteor. While that isn't what
you meant. I believe the sounds (sonic booms) several witnesses heard is
still the clue to a meteor..

 Paul Angelides has a home right on the beach. He is an engineer and felt the
sonic booms. In our phone conversation I was under the impression the sonic
booms he heard were almost simultaneously with the fireball. I will get back
to him for clarification. Following is the material he sent me.

As I told you on the phone, Flight 800 was not just flying along and then
mysteriously blew up.   Long before  (15-20 seconds) the fire ball erupted
over  the horizon,  I observed a fast moving  phosphorescent red object with
a  white smoke trail traversing a great distance  across the sky; ultimately
disappearing at or near the fire ball.  From my perspective on the beach,
looking south (180 degree azimuth), the object moved from an elevation of
about 50 degrees  @ azimuth of  about 185 degrees to  the area about 5
degrees west of the fire ball which was at about elevation 10 degrees  @
azimuth 175 degrees.  This is no coincidence.   The sounds that followed were
of great magnitude - certainly of the sonic boom type.  The house shook.  My
wife was in the bathroom drying  my 1 year old son  after his bath and she
felt the floor of the bathroom shaking. The initial sonic rumble lasted about
15-20 seconds and was  terminated with three louder bursts within the rumble.
 It was quiet for another 15-20 seconds and then a loud blast was heard,
shaking the house again.  A few seconds later, another  final loud blast was
heard.  The sounds reached me after the object  and  fire ball were observed.
 From my observation, the object that moved across the sky  was not breaking
up or spewing  particles.   Of course, in  the three dimensional space of the
sky, the  two dimensional points of travel I refer to can correspond  to
various three dimensional  paths.  However, if different (reliable)
observers' coordinates and observations were ploted, what would such analysis
reveal ?.  Certainly I am dissapointed to have heard little if anything about
such an aspect of the investigation.     Sincerely,  Paul

Norman & others. Thanks for the help.
How did you like the Bark Scropion story?

Sincerely, Lloyd Mielke