[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Perseid max good from SW Fla

Finally got a break in the weather after missing 11 nights.  Had a good
Perseid max after an 8-year wait since the last one.  I arrived at my site
right about moonset, and observed 5:03 hours with 272 meteors.  Full-hour
Perseid rates 126 - 526 EDT (526 - 926 UT) were 20,38,68,60 in sky LM7.2
first hour, then 7.3 thereafter.

I saw only 1 Kappa Cygnid the entire session.  A very distinctive slow one,
so it's especially unlikely that I'm mislabeling them.  Why do others see so
many of these??  I do better with the Kappa Aquarids in late September, and
a rate of 2/hr from a shower that slow really stands out.

A few bright Perseids were around this year, but none better than -5m.

642 UT  WB  -5  train 10s
719 UT  Y    -4  train 60s
727 UT  BG   -4   train 3s
741 UT  Y   -3  train 10s
906 UT  Y   -4   train 10s

Nice showing of long-enduring trains.  I was surprised by such a long one
from just a -4.  The middle of it bowed eastward a couple of degrees by the
time it ended.

The best minor shower was Alpha Capricornids, total 6 of these in 4 hours.

The most unusual color was an orange-red Perseid 0m seen soon after I
started.  Haven't seen anything with any hint of red in quite some time.  An
orange 0m Alpha Cap had a 3-degree sparkly wake, sparks were orange also.

Looking back to 1989 Aug 11/12, hours 326 - 526 EDT  (726 - 926 UT) Perseids
were 62,61 in sky LM7.0.  And in 1988, same night, 226 - 526 EDT (626 - 926
UT) Perseids 42,49,73 in sky LM7.3.  So 1997 was very similar to 1988-89.
Post-max night in 1988  hours 226-526 EDT had Perseids 30,41,42 in sky
LM7.3.  Will it be that good in 1997?  We will find out tonight.

Norman