[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseids (WOW!)

>Just to help
>motivate me, I wondered if there were any currently outstanding research
>questions which observations on the nights just BEFORE and AFTER the max
>might help answer?? Is there any question about the structure of the
>'background' component to the PERs, for instance? Help me out here, y'all. :)

Lew, here's a minor question that a couple of us have. Bob Lunsford
mentioned it from the visual perspective, and I've noticed it on my radio
skeds, too: sporadic counts appear to drop precipitously starting a week or
so before the Perseids, climbing back up at who knows what rate? Bob said it
has been observed and he know of no reason for it.

Unfortunately, my radio sked will be off until September while the other guy
gets some vacation-time before his kid's kids start school again this fall,
so I won't be able to gather any data on the climb-back (assuming there is
one!).

Also, until the other night when you mentioned you were in Westford, I didnt
know you were so close. Do you know of other visual groups in the Worcester,
Mass area?

I post this to the whole list, looking for more input and to throw my
question out in the arena for general comment/suggestions...

Steve Harrison
Shrewsbury Mass