[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Other Non-Meteor Astro. Events

Dear J.C. Millot & Gregg Lobdell

    Millot, I 'm waiting for your report on upcoming solar eclipse.
Hope for clear sky that day. However, Total Lunar Eclipse will occurs
for more of us.
    I used SkyMap3.1 and some text book in library and found transits of
Venus and Mercury for the past and future are:

Transits of Mercury:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Date         Time UT (approx.)
--------------------------------------
13 November 1986     01.5h-06.5h
06 November 1993     03h-05h      (I observed this event from my house)
15 November 1999     22h      <---***

Transits of Venus:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Date         Time UT (approx.)
--------------------------------------
09 December 1874     02h-06.5h
06 December 1882     14h-20.5h
08 June 2004         05h-11.5h
06 June 2012         22h(5 June)-05h
11 December 2117     0.5h-5.5h       ( Not 17th )
08 December 2125     13.5h-19h

*** Upcoming and Interesting Transit of Mercury in 1999 will be a
"grazing" transit. South of Pacific and New Zealand, probably includes
New Caledonia will witness this event.

    BTW, I don't know that when and why I like astronomy. I remembered
when I was young,  about 7-8 years old, in my dream (during sleeping), I
see something in the sky that I know it's GALAXY afterthat. In 1993, I
'm the winner of Astronomy Quiz of the year over the country (High
School level), managed by The Thai Astronomical Society.
     I bought my first 7x50 binoculars for celebrations after I used
handmade telescope for several years. I spend some night under the dark
sky at my home in another province every time that I have a chance
(Currently in the 4th year of B.Sc. and work hard for senior project
about the heliosphere in Bangkok). Like to know your story.

Worachate Boonplod
from Bangkok, Thailand (13d45' N, 100d31' E) UT+07
mailto : piak@deathstar.phys.sci.chula.ac.th
"Eclipse Zone" home page : http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/7137/

J.C. Millot wrote