[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Astronomy vs. TV [my last one]

> It was not a stupid posting.  I observed for three nights and saw a
> meteor come out of the possible radiant once out of the two nights.
> Please remember that many minor showers have rates at 1 or less per
> hour before midnight at, before, or after the maximum period.  My
> claim that I saw a new comet was false, although I did not know it at
> the time.  I did indeed see a -15 fireball.  Do *_you, Sirko*_, doubt
> that?

To be honest: Yes.
I have been observing meteors for about ten years. In all that time, the
brightest fireball I ever saw was a -10 mag Perseid during the 1993
maximum. Fireballs brighter than full moon occur at a rate of less
than 10 per year over all of central Europe, as we learn from the EN data.
So, the probability that you witnessed a -15 mag fireball is going towards
zero. Is there anybody else who saw this fireball? I doubt your
observation because of your 'working style' that is apparent from your
meteorobs contributions.

> Don't you think that would be quite a thing to observe and 67% of
> them originate from a particular point in the sky, or radiant in the
> entire sky?
>
> I thought first, Sirko.  I no one else made observations, then no one
> else could verify my findings and then I would have to wait to next
> year?  That's not pure science.  It's social science.  Not
> recognizing that an observer, a sane observer, could have noticed
> something, and yet ignore him because someone doesn't like him???

Either yoou don't want to, or you really don't understand me. I give up.

Sorry folks, this is my last reply to Jonathan. I don't want to make
things worse anymore.
Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*         Verbindungsweg 7          *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-15366 Hoenow           *                                    *
*  molau@informatik.rwth-aachendot de  *                       Shakespeare  *
*      http://www.snafudot de/~smo     *                                    *