[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing summary, Nov 18/19 1997, GRALE (Lew Gramer)

Last night began grimly - from early evening on, the sky showed occassional low
clouds and an increasing tendency to ice-haze or high cirrus. By 11:45 local
time, the Kids in Auriga required averted vision, and the three "head" stars of
Orion were invisible... I clenched my teeth and set the alarm for 2am.

Upon waking up and shaking the last concrete bits from my skull, I went out to
find a PRISTINE ice-free sky, with the moon only a minor nuisance overhead and
to the East. For the next Teff ~= 1.5, the Leonids and other active showers
continued to put on a show: approx. 16 meteors total, 7-8 LEOs, and 3-4 NTAs.

The best meteor of the night was a stately, slow -3 North Taurid. The most
fascinating thing about this meteor was its color: this meteor was distinctly
TURQUOISE (noted as blue-green), with a mere wake of pale bluish color.
Certainly one of the more beautiful meteors I've ever seen.

The session was short and sweet, and thus was a fitting conclusion to my 1997
Leonid campaign! Tonight holds little hope (high clouds in the forecast and on
the satellite loop), but I may have a chance to watch the Chi Orionids et al as
the moon wanes late this weekend or early next week. IMO report to follow...

Clear skies all - here's looking forward to the Geminids!
Lew