[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Leonid Storm Peeks over US West Coast (fwd)

<< If I
 remember your report correctly, you ended earlier than Bob did and Hans
 c.s. reportedly did. I think Bob and Hans c.s. might have catched the
 ascending slope of a peak. Their descriptions of quite some fireballs
 starting to appear near the end of their sessions sound like that. Also
 note that your Lm reportedly was much lower (full magnitude).  >>

Regarding the November 17 1200 UT to 1230 UT fireball period witnessed in
California:

My double radio/antenna meteor tapes, as recorded in Santa Fe, New Mexico
at 91.9 MHz and 89.5 MHz, show a low amount of long duration reflections
during the 1100 UT hour. Then at 1201:35 UT I show a two minute duration
reflection that may possibly be composed of multiple fireballs.  Then
follows many, many long duration receptions throughout the *whole* of the
1200 UT hour. (1200 UT is 5am Mountain Standard Time).  The following 1300
UT hour is a continuation of the pattern but receptions are nearly
continuous with many multiple FM transmitters being received. I see no way
to count individual reflections but there is a dynamic reflection layering
with reflections punctuating reflections puncuating reflections.  It would
be difficult to arrive at any "peak" Leonid moment as the 1300 UT hour
mixes with highest morning sporadic meteor rates but 1348 UT to 1354 UT is
noted on my chart as particulary dense.

Still have 1400 UT to 1900 UT to process.

If someone in the California multistation meteor group is seriously
interested in my stereo cassette tapes, which have WWV recorded into them
by the way, then I might be able to offer them for analysis.

Tom Ashcraft
35.41 N 105.57 W
Santa Fe, New Mexico
72632.1427@compuserve.com