[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Namn guide

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:06:41 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi Everyone!!
>
>I have just completed reading the first 4 chapters of the Namn guide
>( now taking a break to do some math homework), and from what I have
>read so far, you need to be an octopus to do meteor observing.
>
>I think the hardest thing I can see is recording the time. How can
>you record the time accurately ( if doing a tape recording report),
>without dropping your tape recorder, to turn on the light on your
>watch to tell the time, and ruin your night vision at the same time.
>
>There must be some way to record time and all information at the same
>time.  I suppose having shortwave radio dialed to the time signal
>might help, but if that is un-available, next step would be???

If youhave access to a short-wave radio, even a cheap one, then you should be
able to get time signals from either WWV or CHU.  Also depending on your budget
you can get a multi-track tape recorder.  Have one track hooked up to the radio
so you can record the time, second-beats and all.  The other track you would
record your observastions.  A little planning can reduce the octopus-sized task
down to a small cuttlefish in short order.