[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Aurora Watch/added bonus !!

Kenya Patzer wrote:

>     So here's my question - do you think the auroral activity will be
> visible - even slightly - as far south as Colorado?

Just subscribe to the STD Solar and Geophysical FREE E-Mail Product. They
will give you warnings and the zone that the auroras are expected to be
visible. The URL is :
http://holly.cc.ulethdot ca/solar/www/sublists.html

During major activities, yes you can see auroras from Colorado but it is
more unusual than if you live in the northern states or in Canada.
In Quebec city, there is a possibility to observe a mean of 30 nights of
auroras in one year. If  I go in Lake Saint-Jean (200 miles north of Quebec
city) I can see a lot more auroras.

> I've never seen any
> sort of aurora, and since the work I'm doing at school partially deals
> with the magnetosphere, I'm really interested in going out and trying to
> see it.  I can get far enough away from Denver to avoid the light
> pollution, and it's possible for me to get up as high as 10,000 or
> 11,000 feet.  Would this help?  Or is there absolutely no chance of
> seeing it??

Yes it is best to not have light pollution when observing aurora. It is not
a factor to observe from the top of a mountain.

Gaetan Chevalier.