[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Aries-Triangulids

Malcolm,

I was curious if you knew about the reports from Gliba, Kronk, and
Sleeter before or after you noticed this activity on your own charts?

Your article convinced my that the 1994 display was real and to include
it my list of radiants to examine in years to come. The last 4 years has
produced very little activity but observers should still keep an eye out
for this activity every September. The use of video cameras to record
such activity would be wonderful but unfortunately they are very
expensive and beyond the budgets of most independent observers.

We also have a similar situation occurring in mid-June with the Xi
Draconids. This shower seems connected to the June Lyrids as the
activity period is similar, the radiant's RA is similar but the
declination is some 20 further north. The June Lyrid activity has been
next to nothing for the last 10 years or so but suddenly in 1994
independent observations from Europe and America recorded this new
radiant in Draco. Once again rates the following years have been lean
but much more active than the June Lyrids.

This is another case where outright dismissal due to lack of activity
should be put on hold. Rather there should be a call for action to help
verify such activity using every means possible including plotting,
photography, and video.

This situation also exists in early February for the Xi Bootids, and
near June 28 for the June Bootids.

Keep Watching!

Bob Lunsford

Malcolm Wrote:

> The Aries-Triangulid topic is fascinating and entertaining, not so
> much whether or not the shower(s) exist, by how people perceive their
> own and other people's data.  I don't have time now to go into the
> whys and wherefores.  My main point today is that we should keep an
> open mind for as long as possible, and would welcome video
> observations over *several* years to nail this one way or the other.
>
> As it hasn't been mentioned or criticised (-:, I'd like to introduce
> my telescopic observations into the debate.  Full details are given in
> WGN 22:6, p.220--223.  Perhaps I was imagining or affected by some
> strange bias, but in 1994 I was fairly confident that I detected a
> weak radiant (20% sporadic of 83 meteors in 4.25 Teff) located at
> (2h02m,+29) on one night (Sept 12/13, solong 270deg), and perhaps on a
> further two (10% sporadic).  If we convert to a rough ZHR equivalent
> these rates would all be below the IMO detection threshold for visual
> observation.  The apparent velocity suggested a v_infinity very roughly
> 30 km/s. Further supporting evidence was the tightness of the radiant
> and apparent motion.
>
> Now it's always open to suspicion when there are no corrobative
> results.  So I would welcome telescopic observations both future and
> past, which can confirm or refute my data.

Follow-Ups: References: