[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Stationary Meteors & More

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Really, Bob, only 10 stationaries out of 50,000?? *I* have probably recorded
> more than 10 of these in the past couple of years - and *FAR* fewer meteors!

All I can say is that meteors shorter than 2 degrees are quiet scarce to
me. The number of meteors 2 degrees long and up increases significantly
and peaks somewhere near 7 degrees. Only until I reach lets say 90
degrees in length does the number become as rare as the stationary
meteors.

With all the data I have someday I hope to have time to find out the
exact percentages each length really exhibits.

> I guess this could be for two reasons: 1) I call a meteor "stationary" when
> it's so short that I can't fix its direction of motion in my mind. Probably
> with more experience (like you), I'll get better at this. 2) You face the
> radiants of active showers, which I rarely do. Thus you not only see more
> short meteors than I do (and so are more used to them), but you probably see
> many such short meteors with nearly 0 degs "true DCV" (distance from center
> of vision). Basically none of my "stationaries" were truly dead-on DCV=0.

That is interesting Lew as I would bet most of my stationary meteors
occurred exactly at the center of my field or darn close to it. Even by
facing the radiant most of my meteors lie in the 5-10 degree range. This
is probably due to the fact that my average distance from center of my
view (DCV) is near 20 degrees therefore in an area which produces
meteors of this length.

This is an interesting topic. Thanks for the feedback.

Bob

Follow-Ups: References: