[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Draconid observed in China

That must not be the same one for we locates too far for seeing the same meteor
(which flashs in some height like 100 km?). But it's really nice to know
that you observed in Singapore!

I did notice that some quite bright meteors falling towards south, which is
your direction. :) But anyway, it should still be not far enough to reach
into your sight, I guess.

It seems to me that the meteors heading to south are in general brighter
than those heading to north, for this GIA (sorry I mistyped this character
as DRA in my previous message) case - this is my first such observations
so I have no experience, but I do want to ask that where it could also be
observed from others. It might be some reason like fidderent cloud thickness
(I was observed in not best condition, transparency just so-so, though I
could not see obvious clouds). I just wonder whether there could be some
physical reason to cause that. It seems that the most brightest several
GIAs we observed were heading to south, except one SPO which was in north.

Also I think that I may estimate the magnitude in some larger scale than it
should be. For I recorded some +5 ones under LM=4.0... (they were the faintest
one I could see under that condition and I only made star counts but checking
LM later when I went back dome.) The estimation for +0 shold be less problem
for I have Vega for reference. Anyway it's my first formal observation except
the one I made in Russia this Jul.

I'm too busy with other observation stuffs (not meteor, but I did make some
observations for the parent comet in Oct. 9 or 10) so I could not revise
my previous posting to formal report and submit. Will go to attend a
domestic meteor storm conference to Nanjing this afternoon. Wish that I could
meet some Chinese amateurs on meteor observations.

With best regards, Jin
Jin Zhu                           | Tel.: +86-10-62759888 (O)
Beijing Astronomical Observatory  |       +86-10-68392030 (H)
Chinese Academy of Sciences       |       +86-314-5053035-806 (Schmidt dome)
P. R. China                       | Fax : +86-10-62759888
email: zj@bac.pkudot edu.cn or jinzhu@sun.ihep.ac.cn
WWW Home Page: http://vega.bac.pkudot edu.cn/~zj
Pager: zhu@mail.263dot net.cn (only Sub. line) OR +86-10-64256688 PIN 82333