[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Daylight Leonid Fireballs

Even though the orientation of the Earth does not favor large numbers of western
USA meteors, and the time window is a little before the earth plunges thru the
plane of Comet Temple/Tuttle, I think it would be worth the West Coasters
looking for daylight activity as Bob suggests.

The Leonid storm of 1966 included a lot of very bright fireballs at its peak.
Our team was observing through a 40 degree hole in the clouds that night, and at
least several times a minute a bolide appeared so bright that it lit up the
ground through the overcast, like summer lightning.  The ones visible thru the
hole rivaled the full moon in brightness.

I have not tried to observe meteors during the daylight, are there any special
tricks or equipment that enhance detection?  What about medium power wide field
binocs fitted with polarizing filters to increase contrast?

Kevin Wells