[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Leonid counting

Hi, Kim! Bob's pretty much outlined what *I* plan to do (and what
I understand IMO suggests), with only minor changes. Here's my own
contingency plan for "stormy conditions"... :)

1) Begin recording using standard "major shower" technique: i.e.,
note time, magnitude, speed, shower, DCV, constellation(s), train
info, color, and any comments for EACH meteor on a tape recorder.

2) If rates become high enough, start dropping data for each meteor:
comments, then color, train, constellation, DCV, and finally speed.

3) If even simple time, magnitude, shower becomes too hard to yell
into the recorder, then drop shower (by then, essentially all the
meteors should be from one shower anyway!)

4) If even time+magnitude is too much, drop time - just be sure to
note regular timestamps (every 10 or 15 minutes), or at least note
when the "storm" begins and ends, to the minute.

5) Finally, if magnitude is too much, start ONLY logging meteors
brighter than magnitude 4. If there are still too many, just log
meteors brighter than mag 2. If STILL too many, just 0 or below.
(Note that any consistent magnitude data is better than none.)

6) Of course if I get flustered, I plan to take a break to "just
enjoy the show" myself! Better to enjoy the event of a lifetime,
than to miss the "experience" of it and get bad data anyway! ;>

Clear skies all,
Lew