[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Orionid Photographs for Oct 18/19 ZAYGE

Sue M. Turner wrote:

> Might I ask what area of the US you are in?  I am in Maryland and am
> curious as whether or not I am in a good area for tonite's viewing and,
> if so, what time would be best.

Sue,

    George Zay, Bob Lunsford and I (Joseph Assmus) most frequently observe
from the San Diego area (actually the local San Diego mountains in
Descanso, CA is where George's observatory is.)
    Re: the ORIONID meteor shower,  Bob posted an nice preview of this
years ORIs... if you didn't save it here is an excerpt  from the original
post .....

   ...written by Robert Lunsford... .[Orionids:   This major annual shower
produces rates averaging 10-20 meteors per hour at maximum. The best
activity usually occurs on morning of the 21st or 22nd of October but can
occur as early as the 18th or as late as the 25th. This year the moon is
new on the 20th and will not interfere at all with watching the Orionids.
The Orionids are the inbound particles from Halley's Comet. Although the
comet is now long gone material has spread around its entire orbit so that
meteor displays  re visible every year at this time. During the week of
maximum activity the radiant lies on the Orion-Gemini border northeast of
he bright orange star Betelgeuse. Meteors from this shower are swift,
faster than the Perseids of August. Although most  rionids are faint there
are occasions when fireballs are produced. Most of these fireballs are
brightly colored and leave behind  ersistent  rains. Since most shower
members are faint this shower is poorly observed from home in the suburbs.
A good dark  sky showing the winter Milky Way is needed to see this shower
in all its glory. The Orionids become active after 11pm local  aylight time
and are best seen at 5am (LDT) when Orion stands upright on the meridian.
Orionid meteors can be seen during  he entire month of October and through
the first week of November but in much lesser numbers away from the period
of  aximum activity.]

    I plan on observing with Bob and George Tue/Wed and Wed/Thu.   My
experience has been that under favorable conditions, the Orionids always
put on a good show... This week is also a good chance to catch some members
of the one slowest meteor showers.. the Taurids.  They're always neat to
see.  Additionally, the EGEs are also be active this week as George
reported. So, with 3 active radiants plus sporadics under our clear So CAl
skies there should be lottsa meteors :-)

Joseph Assmus
San Diego, CA