[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Rotating earth?

You asking interesting questions about meteoroids (the actual particles that
cause meteors), Markku! My understanding is that small dust grains of the kind
inhabiting the Inter-Stellar Medium, are formed thanks to electrostatic
cohesion, the same force that gives water "surface tension", and causes dust
bunnies to form on your floor (or my floor anyway)! And I guess according to
computational models (created by people who know more about this than I!), this
process can occur even at the low densities found in the ISM.

As for meteoroids being ice balls, I think the main problem with this is the
Sun... Remeber that at "noon", the surface temperature on the Moon is around
100oC (212oF). So at 1 A.U., I think these iceballs would be closer to "vapor
balls", and in fact would probably dissociate very quickly. I'm not SURE of
that, though! Anyone with more knowledge care to comment?

Clear skies!
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: